Air Source Heat Pumps - Frequently Asked Questions
The air source heat pump resources page is progressively updated with content to address frequently asked questions. We welcome any questions or comments. We are of course happy to arrange for a no obligation quote and a site survey by one of our engineering managers too. Contact us today
The Mitsubishi Electric range of Ecodan air source heat pumps is just one of the most advanced heating systems available for homeowners and businesses.
It boasts an A++ ErP Energy Rating Label across the range, this is an ideal, clean and green intelligent heating solution for many homes.
The entire line of this range also certified by the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) which certifies that it’s an intelligent technology that produces heat from a renewable source. This is a key requirement if applying for any renewable heating payments or incentives that may be run by the UK Government. For more info on : current UK Government renewable technology incentives
Air Source Heat Pump Considerations
Whatever your motives for wanting to generate your own energy, you should think about energy efficiency first. You should make sure you are as energy efficient as possible, or you will end up wasting the precious renewable energy you go on to generate.
Click on each consideration to find out more
It must be specified, installed and maintained correctly
Think - why do you want to generate your own energy?
Understand your current energy usage
Some general rules of thumb
Air Source Heat Pumps and Radiators
Do you need new radiators when installing an air source heat pump or will old or existing radiators suffice?
When heating with an air source heat pump it is important to understand low flow temperatures - and if you have low temperatures then you need a larger surface area. Compared to where a traditional radiator system warmed using gas boiler central heating you would have flow temperatures of around 75°C - however air source pumps have a lower flow temperature of around 35°C to 45°C. Underfloor heating is arguably the best solution in combination with a heat pump, which is why they an installation in a new build is a no-brainer - but in existing homes looking to save money and reduced carbon emmisions , through where when certain floor coverings, such as thick carpets, and those with solid, uninsulated floors, this is not always feasible. So radiators, old or new, will need to have larger surface area to allow the heat to transfer effectively around a room. Below are a few frequently answered questions as to what to consider, if you will need to replace your radiators when installing.
Click on each consideration to find out more
Air source heat pumps and radiators in general
Which radiator type works best with an air source heat pump?
Which radiator size works best with an air source heat pump?
Do radiators always need to be replaced?
Do radiator pipes also need to be replaced?
Air Source Heat Pump Myths
Common misperceptions about air source heat pumps explained
Air source heat pumps are noisy
Air source heat pumps are not efficient during cold winters
Air source heat pumps only work with underfloor heating
Air source heat pumps are too expensive
Air source heat pumps can only be installed in new properties
Air source heat pumps cost more to run and increase heating bills
Air source heat pumps can only be used for heating, not hot water
Air source heat pumps require more maintenance than boilers
Gasway Services is an Appointed Representative of Koze Group Ltd (reference no. 830489). Gasway Services acts on behalf of Koze Group Ltd as a credit broker (not as a lender) and offers credit products through a panel of lenders.
Gasway Privacy Notice
Gasway Services Limited is committed to the responsible handling and protection of personal information.
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) defines personal data as any information related to a person that can be used to directly or indirectly identify them. This includes physical attributes, location data, online identifiers (including IP addresses), identification numbers, health information and economic, cultural or social identify of a person.
We process (collect, use, store, share) personal information where necessary to provide our services and for our operational and business purposes as described in this Privacy Notice.
We want to be clear about our privacy practices so that you can make informed choices about the use of your information, and we encourage you to contact us at any time with questions or concerns.
How we use your information
This privacy notice tells you how we, Gasway Services Limited, will collect and use your personal information to enable us to provide our services. The information we process can be collected directly from customers or from other organisations where we process information on their behalf.
Why does Gasway need to collect and store personal information?
Gasway processes personal information for the following purposes:
• Servicing, repair and installation of gas appliances and heating systems
• For the protection of employees, customers, contractors and sub-contractors
• For the prevention of fraud and legal proceedings
• Feedback from research and surveys on how we can provide better services
• Communication with our customers to provide updates relating to our business and services
• For the management, wellbeing and support of our employees
• For the management of financial services
• For general day to day corporate operations and due diligence
We are committed to ensuring that the information we collect and use is appropriate for these purposes and does not constitute an invasion of your privacy.
Special category information
Occasionally we collect and process what may be considered special category information (sensitive personal information).
Sensitive personal information is a subset of personal information and is generally defined as any information related to racial/ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health, other medical information including biometric and genetic data, or sexual life preferences.
Gasway will only collect this information if it is necessary to provide our service.
To provide a duty of care to employees, customers, contractors and sub-contractors we will process and share relevant personal information for their protection. This will be an alert on our management system to visit in pairs (DNVA).
How will Gasway use the personal information it collects about me?
Gasway will process the information you provide in a manner compatible with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We will endeavour to keep your information accurate and up to date, and not keep it for longer than is necessary. Gasway is required to retain information in accordance with the law, such as information needed for financial, legal and audit purposes. How long certain kinds of personal information should be kept may also be governed by specific business-sector requirements and agreed practices. Personal information may be held in addition to these periods depending on individual business needs.
Under what circumstances will Gasway contact me?
Our aim is not to be intrusive, and we undertake not to ask irrelevant or unnecessary questions. We may sometimes contact you for feedback by doing research or asking you to take part in a survey, this enables us to make changes and improvements to our services. We may also communicate with you when we have updates or changes to our business or if you have previously been a Gasway customer. If you have provided us with your email and or mobile number we will contact you in this way to communicate.
We consider this communication to be within our legitimate interest of lawful processing.
Can I find out the personal information that the organisation holds about me?
Gasway at your request will provide you with a copy of the personal data we hold about you. This is referred to as your right of access (subject access request). You are entitled to receive any information that identifies you as an individual, including the following information:
• The lawful conditions applicable to the processing of your personal information.
• If the processing is based on legitimate interests (processing is necessary for the operation of our business) we will advise which legitimate interest applies
• The categories of personal information processed
• Recipient(s) or categories of recipients that the data is/will be disclosed to.
• If we intend to transfer the personal data to a third country or international organisation, information about how we ensure this is done securely. The EU has approved sending personal data to some countries because they meet a minimum standard of data
Page 3 of 4
protection. In other cases, we will ensure there are specific measures in place to secure your information.
• How long the information will be stored.
• The source of personal data if it wasn’t collected directly from you.
Your rights as a data subject (Customers of Gasway)
At any point while we are in possession of or processing your personal data, you, the data subject, have the following rights:
• Right of rectification – you have a right to ask us to update personal information if you have a reason to believe that it is inaccurate or incomplete.
• Right to be forgotten – you have the right in certain circumstances to ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records. Especially if you think we are processing your personal information where it is no longer necessary or where you believe it is unlawful.
• Right to restriction of processing – You have the right to ask us to temporarily stop processing your personal information if you have concerns over the accuracy of the information in some way.
• Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
• Right to object – you have the right to object to the way we process your personal information if you consider Gasway are being unlawful.
• Right to object to automated processing – you have the right to object to decisions made about you from automated processing. (Please note Gasway do not use your personal data to make automated decisions about you).
How to contact us?
Gasway is part of Flagship Housing Group Limited and Data Protection is part of a central service.
If you would like to make a request to obtain personal information we hold about you or access any of your rights as explained in this privacy notice you can do so by emailing Flagship Group Data Protection Officer – firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively feel free to contact us in the following ways:
Flagship Response – our Contact Centre is open from 7am – 7pm Monday to Friday. Call Freephone 0808 168 4555 (please tell us you are a customer of Gasway)
Write to us
Data Protection Officer
Flagship Housing Group Limited
31 King Street
Lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority
If you have any concerns regarding how Flagship Group handled your request, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) details below:
Information Governance department Information, Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Cheshire, SK9 5AF